If you have recently been injured in a car crash, talking to a San Antonio car accident attorney should be high on your list of priorities. At the Law Offices of Maloney & Campolo, we work with clients who have suffered auto accident injuries caused by the negligent actions of another party. We understand your fears and your concerns, and we are here to help.
Why Choose our Lawyers?
- We have the knowledge, experience, and skill needed to take on insurance companies and other opponents.
- Our clients pay nothing out-of-pocket. You do not pay unless we recover your damages.
- We believe our clients always come first. This means you focus on recovering. We will handle the rest.
- We offer free case consultations for accident victims throughout Texas.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a car collision, contact our lawyers at (210) 922-2200 for a free initial consultation!
How the Law Offices of Maloney & Campolo Can Help You
When you retain our law firm, we do all of the legwork so you can focus on spending time with your family and recovering from your injuries. From filing insurance paperwork and negotiating with claims adjustors to obtaining medical records and looking out for your best interests, you can leave all the labor and details to our San Antonio personal injury attorneys. Our team can answer car accident frequently asked questions such as:
- Am I entitled to compensation?
- What will my compensation cover?
- Should I accept the payout offered by my insurance company?
- Do I need to obtain a police report from the car accident?
- How long do I have to pursue compensation after my accident?
What to Do After a Car Accident
In our years of experience handling San Antonio auto accident claims we have come to recognize the importance of victims taking the correct steps from the very beginning. Common mistakes too often interfere with victims’ abilities to bring claims against negligent and at-fault parties. Do all you can – with help from a car accident attorney – to avoid common errors and strengthen your case after an accident.
- Protect yourself. Safeguard your physical health by going to a hospital immediately after a crash. Protect your legal rights by swapping information with the other driver and calling the police from the scene of the crash.
- Report the crash. You lawfully must report a car accident to the police in Texas if anyone has any injuries, if someone died or if the crash caused more than $1,000 in property damages. Tell your version of events to the police when they arrive, but do not admit fault.
- Call an auto accident attorney. Hiring an attorney can come with many advantages of having someone on your side. Your lawyer can walk you through the steps of filing an injury claim, such as doing so within two years of your car wreck.
Try to stay calm and remember help is available after a crash. Unlike the other driver, an insurance company or even the police, a lawyer will be on your side. A San Antonio car accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Maloney & Campolo can assist you with the claims process in Bexar County. Our law firm can help you understand exactly what to do after your accident, call us to schedule a free case review.
Types of Traffic Collisions and Their Causes
Our attorneys have helped victims of all types of accidents fight for fair financial recovery throughout Texas. Over the years, we have developed a clear understanding of who and what causes most serious collisions in San Antonio, TX. We can work with investigators to identify the cause of your recent car accident before naming the appropriate defendant(s). One or more parties may owe you compensation for your damages depending on the cause of your crash.
- Driver error. Distracted, dangerous and negligent drivers cause most accidents in the U.S. Thousands of fatal accidents stem from drunk driving, speeding, texting and driving, and broken traffic laws. If every driver took more care on the road, the number of accidents, injuries and deaths would drop significantly.
- Company error. Some accidents come back to a company’s mistake, such as training its drivers poorly, pressuring them to meet deadlines by speeding or failing to maintain its vehicles. A trucking, delivery, bus, taxi or another company could be liable for these accidents, as well as vicariously liable for accidents negligent drivers cause.
- Dangerous roads. The City of San Antonio has a duty to properly maintain its roads. That means repairing potholes, downed power lines, broken traffic lights, fallen trees, uneven shoulders and other hazards that could contribute to car crashes. If a roadway defect caused your accident, you could have a case against the city or private owner if it knew of the defect and reasonably should have repaired it before your wreck.
- Vehicle malfunctions. Some car accidents and related injuries arise from defective and dangerous vehicle parts. Bad brakes, tire blowouts, defective starters, faulty seat belts and airbags, electrical malfunctions, and autonomous vehicle problems can all cause serious accidents and occupant injuries.
When you use a San Antonio car accident attorney from the Law Offices of Maloney & Campolo, an investigator can help determine the cause of your car wreck by returning to the scene of the crash, analyzing vehicle damages, talking to eyewitnesses, reviewing police reports, looking at photographs or video footage, and working with crash reconstructionists. Once someone identifies the person or party at fault for the crash, you or your lawyer can bring a claim to damages against the correct defendant. Multiple parties could share fault for the same accident in Texas, giving you more opportunities to recover fair compensation.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Three different collisions happen in every auto accident. The first, the vehicular collision, describes the vehicle colliding with an outside object in the initial crash. The second, the human collision, occurs when vehicle passengers halt their forward velocity by striking elements within the car, such as the dashboard or steering column. This collision can cause injuries such as bone fractures and traumatic head injuries. The third is the internal collision, in which internal organs strike other organs or the skeleton until coming to a stop. The internal collision can cause a wide variety of serious personal injuries, including organ damage and hemorrhaging. Common injuries crash victims may suffer include:
- Whiplash and neck injuries
- Ligament, muscle and tendon injuries
- Scrapes, cuts, and deeper lacerations
- Severe burns
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Traumatic amputations
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Knee injuries
- Broken bones
- Broken ribs and lung injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Psychological distress
- Wrongful death
A serious injury could put you out of work for days, weeks or longer. You could suffer catastrophic injuries or permanent disabilities that affect you for life. If you suffered a spinal cord injury during your accident, contact our San Antonio spinal cord injury attorney for help with your claim. At our law firm, we are passionate about seeking justice for victims with life-changing injuries after preventable auto accidents. We can use proven legal strategies and aggressive settlement negotiation tactics to argue for what we believe is fair compensation for your injuries or a loved one’s death. No matter what types of injuries you suffered in a car accident, contact us for counsel. We may be able to help you recover.
How is Fault Determined?
In a motor vehicle accident claim, liability refers to someone’s legal responsibility for the car accident. The liable party will be the one that has to pay for everyone else’s medical expenses and property repairs. The other driver could be liable for your accident if he or she caused it through negligence, intent to harm or recklessness. If the other driver was intoxicated, drowsy, speeding, texting and driving, distracted, not paying attention, tailgating, making an unsafe lane change or otherwise breaking a roadway rule at the time of the collision, he or she could be liable.
Texas is a fault state, meaning the driver at fault for causing the car wreck will generally be liable for damages. Determining fault, however, is not always easy. If the other driver is denying fault, a lawyer from our firm may have to step in to help you get to the bottom of your case. Not all auto accidents point to another driver’s fault. Two or more parties could share fault for your accident, or one party could owe both you and the other driver compensation. Even if you were in a single-vehicle crash, a party such as a roadway maintenance crew or a vehicle manufacturer could be liable. Work with our personal injury attorneys to identify all the parties that may have contributed to your recent motor vehicle accident.
Should I Speak With the Insurance Companies After an Accident?
A traffic collision can be physically, financially and emotionally devastating. The last thing you may want to deal with in the aftermath of a bad accident is insurance settlement negotiations. Yet filing an insurance claim is a necessary part of recovering compensation. Texas is a fault-based car insurance state, meaning the insurance provider of the party at fault for your wreck will be liable for your damages. You do not, however, have to speak to an insurance company if you do not want to. You have the option of hiring a car accident lawyer in San Antonio to take over communications for you instead. Call an auto accident attorney or the insurance company of the at-fault party as soon as you can after a collision to report the accident and file a claim. Your initial claim should describe your injuries and damages, but should not give away any more information than the agent specifically requests. Do not admit to any fault for the car accident, even if you think you may have contributed. Seek an appropriate amount of compensation based on evidence such as medical bills and quotes from auto mechanics to repair your vehicle. The insurance provider will assign someone – either an employee of the company or a third-party adjuster – to review your case and accept or deny the claim.
Seek Assistance from a San Antonio Auto Accident Attorney
The insurance claims adjuster assigned to your case will not be on your side. His or her main objective will be to save the insurance company money by minimizing your payout. The claims adjuster may call you as soon as the day of the accident, before you know what really happened, to ask about the crash and request a recorded statement. Avoid giving a recorded statement to a claims adjuster, as he or she may use it against you later. It is critical to protect your rights during conversations with claims adjusters; otherwise, you could hurt your case as a victim. Speak to a car accident attorney first if you are nervous about saying the wrong thing to an adjuster.
No law requires you to speak to a claims adjuster. An attorney with experience in car accident law can walk you through the insurance claims process or take care of it for you while protecting your rights and best interests. A lawyer will not let you hurt your odds of securing fair compensation by making mistakes such as letting an adjuster record a statement or admitting fault for the collision. Contact a lawyer as soon as possible after an accident in for advice you can trust on how to proceed with an insurance claim.
What Damages Can Be Recovered After an Accident?
One of our main goals, when we accept new auto accident cases, is to give clients their lives back. While we know we cannot reverse serious injuries, we can help clients fight for the compensation they need to regain some quality of life. Accident victims can recover compensation to cover:
- The price to repair or replace your vehicle
- Surgeries, medications, and other health care costs
- Missed income from time off work
- Legal fees and court costs
- Current emotional, mental or psychological trauma
- Future foreseeable pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium after a loved one’s death
A judge may also grant an additional recovery award, called punitive damages, in accident cases involving another party’s gross negligence, wanton disregard for the safety of others or intentional maliciousness. The full value of your car accident claim will depend on many factors, including the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your negotiator. Hire a San Antonio auto accident lawyer from our law firm to improve your odds of securing the maximum compensation.
Deadline to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Texas
In Texas, the statute of limitations on personal injury and property damage claims is two years from the date of the accident (Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code section 16.003). If you do not discover your injuries until after the date of the accident, the clock will not start ticking until the date of injury discovery. If you lost a loved one due to crash-related injuries, your deadline will not start until the date of death. Missing your statute of limitations will mean losing the option to bring your case to court, with rare exceptions. Speak to a car accident lawyer in San Antonio, TX as soon as possible after a crash to avoid missing your deadline.
Our Lawyers Have Recovered Over $150 Million in Verdicts
If you or someone in your family has been injured, get in touch with our accident attorneys. A trial lawyer from the Law Offices of Maloney & Campolo is here to help you and to provide the attentive care you deserve at this time. We invite you to schedule a free consultation with us, our law firm works on a contingency fee basis, you don’t pay unless we win. Simply call our office at (210) 922-2200. Or contact us online to schedule a consultation, we represent car accident cases throughout Bexar County.
“Thank you for all your help Mr. Maloney for all your help. I highly recommend him if you ever need an attorney.” – Ralph Vega