Slip and falls are some of the most common types of premises liability accidents. Slip and fall accidents at work, in grocery stores, in parking lots, in hospitals, at home, or in nursing homes can cause serious injuries resulting in expensive medical bills and lost wages. If you or someone you love suffered a broken bone, hip fracture, sprained muscle, neck or back injury, head injury, or traumatic brain injury because of a slip and fall, contact a San Antonio slip and fall lawyer. Our personal injury attorneys want to help you fight for full compensation from the at-fault party or parties.
Call (210) 922-2200 or contact us online to discuss your case during a free initial consultation.
Why Choose the Law Offices of Maloney & Campolo?
- We care about our clients and provide undivided attention to each. You will always speak with your trial attorney, not an associate.
- We are proud of our case results. We have a 95% success rate and have secured over $150 million in settlements and judgment awards for past clients.
- We will only charge attorneys’ fees if we win. You will not pay anything upfront, and you will only pay for our services if we win compensation on your behalf.
Who is Responsible for a Slip and Fall Accident?
A slip and fall accident typically falls under the umbrella of premises liability law. Premises liability laws in Texas state that all property owners bear the responsibility to reasonably ensure the safety of their premises. Ensuring the safety of a property involves searching for and repairing potential slip and fall hazards, such as slippery surfaces or icy parking lots. It is a property owner’s duty to inspect a property for hazards, repair known dangers, and warn of hazardous conditions.
If a property owner fails to uphold these duties, resulting in a preventable slip and fall, the victim will have the right to pursue compensation through a premises liability claim. It will be up to the plaintiff or his or her San Antonio premises liability lawyer to prove that the property owner in question owed a duty of care, breached this duty, and caused or failed to prevent the accident. Proving a case often involves collecting evidence such as video footage or eyewitness statements. A San Antonio slip and fall attorney can investigate your accident and gather evidence on your behalf.
Common Causes of Slip and Falls
Identifying the exact cause of your accident is a major part of winning your claim. You and your fall accident lawyer will have to provide evidence that the defendant caused or contributed to your accident through some negligent act or omission.
- Wet, oily, or greasy floors
- Trash or debris on the floor
- Recently mopped or waxed floors
- Spilled liquids
- Leaky pipes
- Snow or ice
- Lack of warning signs
- Unsafe staircases
- Poor lighting
- Improper footwear provided to employees or nursing home residents
The law does not require property owners to keep clean floors or safe premises 100% of the time. It does, however, impose a reasonable expectation of safety on parties in charge of maintenance. The law asks property owners to maintain a reasonable and prudent standard of care. If another owner would not have done the same thing under similar circumstances, the person could be liable for damages.
What To Do if You’re Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
The actions you take after your accident can impact your case and the chances of recovering compensation for your medical expenses.
- Check for injuries. Check your body for injuries, if you don’t feel pain or injured try to slowly get up from the floor. If you can’t get up, call for assistance and medical attention. Seeking medical care for your fall injuries is one of the most important steps to take after the accident as well as speaking to a San Antonio personal injury lawyer about a possible claim.
- Gather evidence. After your fall, gather evidence about the scene of the accident and contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident. If you are able to, take pictures of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident and where it happened.
- File an accident report. Notify the manager or owner of the property about your work accident and indicate exactly where it happened. Keep copies of any police and medical reports as evidence for your claim.
- Talk to an attorney. Speak with an attorney after your accident to determine liability and hold the responsible parties accountable for your injuries.
Can You Sue For a Slip and Fall Accident?
To qualify for compensation for fall injuries, you or your attorney must prove that the defendant owed you a duty of care, failed to meet this duty, and in doing so caused your accident. The most common defendant in slip and fall claims is the owner of the property where the accident occurred. However, other parties could also share responsibility, such as other shoppers, coworkers, a landlord, a cleaning company, or a product manufacturer. Your fall injury lawyer can help you identify the appropriate defendant in your case.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Speak to a slip and fall attorney in San Antonio today about your slip and fall accident during a free consultation at the Law Offices of Maloney & Campolo. You could have grounds for a personal injury claim. Call (210) 922-2200 or find out if you have a case by submitting our contact form.